On New Year’s Eve, at our friends’ we discussed ‘What would you say to 2014 if you could meet it in person?’ Aoife said she’d pat it on the shoulder, and say, ‘OK. Well done,’ friendly, but not overly friendly. She wouldn’t hug it. Ronan would say “Not cool. Not cool.” Which for me, pretty much sums it up. Not cool. I might actually sucker punch 2014, or at least give it two fingers. Eat my shorts, 2014.
A fresh start!
So a fresh start with the notion of a new year. The calendar seems somewhat arbitrary, but then again, the days are getting longer and I am feeling more hopeful. And it is the right time to think about the future, and plan.
With that said, I’m making some crafting resolutions!
- Take a photo everyday and tag it #project365
- Spinning challenges which focus on building a habit and working from my stash.
- Discover a knit along, and join it.
- Wash 100g of fleece per week.
- Write one blog post a week.
- Make 4 videos. I don’t know if I can do a podcast, but I’d like more video content.
I’d like to join a few knitting or spinning a-longs (KALs / SALs?) I was attracted by three ideas:
- Spin15in15: I saw this on Instagram #spin15in15 You commit to a small challenge of 15 mins a day. Having read a few pop psychology books on building habits: this is a brilliant idea! Pick the same time each day, get into a routine and just DO IT. There is a fun giveaway to win yarn tags by The 1764 Shepherdess.
- CTA Spin the Bin 2015: Pull out fibre from your stash, divided over a year: 12 x 2oz. You will spin all of these by the end of the year. Get that stash down! There are rules on Ravelry.
- I didn’t realize there were other groups doing “spin the bin” such as Fun Onion.
- A spinner’s study, monthly discussions: They choose one fibre to focus on per month. I will read along with the spinner’s study and if I have one of the fibres I’ll join along. I have a huge fibrary, but only sheep fibre mainly.
So I started on Spin15in15, and I’ve also committed to a select bin of stuff to complete in 2015.
My spin the bin challenge
Project page (Listed in below order of age in my stash)
- 1) Manos del Uruguay – Dragon 100 grams
- 2-3) Unknown source English wool of mystery 200 grams
- 4) Fondant Fibre Mystery Mega Batt – summer breeze 100 grams
- 5-8) HilltopCloud – Ann of Cleves 300 grams
- 9-11) Hedgehog Fibers Sparkly Hedgehog Fibres Silk/Merino top 360 grams
- 12) Hedgehog Fibers Merino/Nylon top 120 grams
- 13) Hedgehog Fibers Polwarth top 120 grams
- Total: 1.3 kilos or 2.8 lbs